Jean M. Terry is an associate practicing in the Louisville, Kentucky office. Prior to attending law school, Jean was employed as a civil engineer in Nashville, Tennessee. Jean contributed to the Erosion Prevention and Sediment Control chapter of the Tennessee Department of Transportation’s Drainage Manual, and implemented these measures on multiple construction sites. Jean also worked on several county bridge and state roadway projects throughout Tennessee. Jean is certified in the Fundamentals of Erosion Prevention and Sediment Control by the Tennessee Department of Environment and Conservation.
Jean’s work as a civil engineer, combined with her practice in construction law and civil litigation, have provided her with invaluable experience in the management and design aspects of large scale construction, as well as the legal issues that affect these projects. Jean applies this experience in her current representation of a variety of construction professionals in all phases of project construction, from contract formation through litigation.
- Successfully litigated large, regional supplier’s Mechanic’s Lien claim against project owner under theory that owner, both individually and as a corporation, had misapplied construction loan proceeds in violation of Kentucky law.
- Represented a variety of construction professionals in mediations, arbitrations, Small Claims Court, District Court, Circuit Court, and the appellate courts of Indiana and Kentucky.
- Advised material supplier, with locations in Kentucky and Tennessee, on improved methods of collection on outstanding accounts, including pursuit of debtors in bankruptcy, claims against applicable payment bonds, and revisions to existing guaranty agreements and credit applications to improve enforcement.
- Assisted and advised clients on aspects of business management in relation to the construction industry, including drafting of organizational policies such as employee handbooks and record retention and destruction policies, as well as preparation of contract administration tools including contract termination checklists and form correspondence.
- Successfully prosecuted lien claim before the Kentucky Court of Appeals, including an award of damages in excess of the penal sum of a lien release bond, as well as obtaining a ruling that contractor was entitled to interest at the higher contractual rate, rather than the statutory rate.
- Successfully pursued contractor’s breach of contract claim, achieving personal judgments against developers individually as well as recovery of significant portion of judgment from developers.
The Catholic University of America, Columbus School of Law, J.D., Cum Laude
Supreme Court of Kentucky
Supreme Court of Indiana
United States District Court for the Eastern District of Kentucky
United States District Court for the Western District of Kentucky
United States Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Kentucky
United States Bankruptcy Court for the Western District of Kentucky
United States Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of Indiana
United States Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Indiana
United States District Court for the Southern District of Indiana
United States District Court for the Northern District of Indiana
- Kentucky Bar Association, Construction & Public Contract Law Sections
- American Bar Association
- Forum on Construction Law
- Division III Design
- Litigation Section
- Construction Litigation Subsection
- Indiana State Bar Association, Construction & Surety Law Section Section
- Kentucky Society of Professional Engineers, Louisville Chapter
- American Society of Civil Engineers, Louisville Chapter
- Society of Women Engineers
- Order of the Engineer
- Associated Builders & Contractors, Inc., Board of Directors, Indiana/Kentucky Chapter
- Young Professionals Program, Associated Builders and Contractors, Inc. of Indiana/Kentucky
- Vice Chair, Women in the Profession Committee, American Bar Association, Young Lawyers Division
- Associated General Contractors of America, Environmental Forum Steering Committee Member